Usually, I’m not a big fan of Anne Hathaway (except her role in the Devil Wears Prada – it’s phenomenal!), but we happen to have a similar completion. Fair skin, green eyes, dark hair… Every once in a while I’m googling Anne for makeup inspiration, as her beauty squad is doing a great job with creating timeless classic looks. One of my favorite makeup ideas of all times is this minimalistic red lipstick look that Anne wore at the Oscars. Even though the look might seem to be simple, it takes a good 45 minutes to replicate. Saying so, I recommend saving it for your next big event such as your best friend’s wedding or a charitable gala.
To create this look, I used the following products:
LORAC Riesling Romance Eye Shadow Palette
MetroCard or a flexible plastic card
To repeat this Anne Hathaway’s look, follow these 14 steps:
1. Star with a good moisturizer that does not contain SPF. I am trying to avoid using sunscreen moisturizer as it makes my face look flat on photos. I also do not like using a nourishing cream for an evening look, as it feels too heavy when combined with multiple contouring products. My current favorite pre-makeup moisturizer is Sculptwear Lift and Contour Serum for Face and Neck by Clinique. It’s not a makeup base, but rather an anti-aging serum, but I love how my skin feels when I am wearing it instead of a moisturizer.
2. When it comes to formal events, a good primer is not a whim, but a necessity. A primer evens your skin tone, makes a foundation smoother, and extends durability of your makeup. I am very picky about facial primers and prefer exclusively Anti Aging Face Primer by Amazing Cosmetics because it does everything I’m looking for in a prep product, from visually erasing pores on my T-zone to making my foundation more durable.
3. For special occasions, I use a separate primer for eyelids, such as Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer Potion Original. This product helps to keep your eye makeup in place and is absolutely essential if you are wearing false lashes.
4. When I purchased a LORAC Riesling Romance Eye Shadow Palette, I knew that it would be my to-go palette for classic looks—and that’s exactly what happened. Perhaps, my favorite eye shadow from the palette is this light beige tone that I applied all over my lid and under the brow. The product is almost translucent, but it gives enough color for a soft natural evening look.
5. For eyeliner, I used my current favorite Make Up For Ever Aqua Black Waterproof Cream Eye Shadow. This product has a consistency of a gel and proved to be durable and incredibly easy to apply. Similar to what Anne Hathaway’s makeup artist did, I applied my eyeliner starting from the middle of the eye and moving towards the inner side. Please keep in mind that it is important to keep a line as thin as you can so your eye makeup doesn’t look too exaggerated.
6. The keys to creating a glamorous Hollywood look are long voluminous lashes. Last year I’ve been experimenting with false lashes by Make Up For Ever and concluded that long flirty lashes from the brand’s Natural Impact collection (number N-404) are the best options for an evening look. Usually, I apply those using a false lashes applicator. By doing so, you will avoid leaving eyelashes glue all over your lid.
7. Allow your falsies about five minutes to settle and switch your attention to a lower lid. Use soft black or dark gray eyeliner to outline the eyelash line, starting from the middle of the eye towards the outer corner. To create this look, I used Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, which is one of the softest products I’ve ever tried. To make a line softer, I used a lip brush by Make Up For Ever.
8. Come back to LORAC Riesling Romance Eye Shadow Palette and pick a muddy brown tone from the palette. Using Sigma Beauty Eye Shading Brush, emphasize the outer corner of the eye and the crease. Blend two shades thoroughly and our eye makeup is done.
9. When it comes to evening looks, I prefer using Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Treatment Concealer as it provides a full coverage and thoroughly camouflages the imperfections.
For this look, I used Kim Kardarshian’s trick on applying a concealer. Basically, the idea here is to apply a product in a way that it creates a downward facing triangle and then blend it using soaked in water BeautyBlender.
Using this trick, you may apply as many layers of concealer as you wish—your overall look will only benefit from it.
10. My nose is much wider than Anne Hathaway’s that is why I used my favorite contouring technique to make it thinner. Using a concealer stick that is one shade darker than your skin (I picked Amazing Cosmetics Perfection Stick Cover And Contour On The Go), draw two parallel lines on the sides of your nose.
Create a separate horizontal line at the tip of your nose and blend everything using a flat foundation brush or a beauty blender.
11. The next contouring trick is somewhat non traditional, but it’s proved to work for me. To emphasize your cheekbones, we will be using…a metro card! If you are not living in a New York Metropolitan area, you can also use any other flexible plastic card that you have in your possession or a piece of a medium thick cardboard. Put your metro card below your cheekbones and draw a straight line from one side of the card to another using a stick concealer. You can use the same product you picked for contouring your nose (I applied Amazing Cosmetics Perfection Stick Cover And Contour On The Go in Medium).
When you are done, blend the line with a flat foundation brush or a beauty blender.
12. Using a foundation brush or fingertips, apply your favorite foundation. As you might have known, for the last few months I’ve been using Make Up For Ever HD Foundation and I am still in love with it. The product provides a full coverage that nevertheless looks natural. Be careful while applying foundation under your eyes and don’t stain your lashes or eyebrows with the product.
Also, do not forget to apply foundation on your lips as it will make your lipstick stay longer.
13. To give your eyebrows a natural but refined look, pick the same Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil that we used on the lower lid, but use the brush from Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Gel to apply it. Swipe the brush on the side of the pencil to grab just a bit of a product and brush your eyebrows through. Using this trick, you will make your eyebrows look as natural as possible, while adding a pop of color and definition.
14. To finish the look, apply your favorite shade of a bright red lipstick. I used Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick Crème in #740 Certainly Red, which is my current favorite to-go shade. Feel free to use a lipstick brush or a lipstick brush, but I’ve applied the product directly from the tube for a thicker coverage.
About an hour later, your glamorous Anne Hathaway’s inspired makeup look is ready. Put on your favorite little black dress and jewelry and you are prepared for a fancy red carpet event!
P.S.—I am planning on creating more celebrity-inspired looks this year. I look forward to hearing your requests on which celebrity look you would like me to reproduce. Leave your recommendations in the comments area below and I’ll try to accommodate your request as soon as possible. Thank you!