It might sound trivial, but regardless what I’m wearing on the New Year’s Eve, I always opt in for a bright red lipstick. There is something uplifting and inspiring about this makeup product that makes every outfit look even more glamorous and put together. Even though I haven’t decided on my holiday dress yet (I have plenty of options though, like this lace red dress or this black princess dress), I already know that I’ll be wearing my signature red lipstick.
Want to learn more about the products and techniques I used to create my holiday makeup look? Read up this blog post and don’t hesitate to ask any follow-up questions in the comments area below! This post also reveals one more dress that I consider wearing on New Year’s Eve so make sure to scroll through the end of the post!
To recreate this festive makeup look, you’ll need:
- Primer: I used *Pixi Skintreats Glowtion Day Dew which is actually a brightening lotion, but it’s also great for priming!
- Foundation: My current favorite is *Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Cushion Foundation!
- Concealer: I can’t get enough of NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in the shade Vanilla as it provides a beautiful full coverage that nevertheless looks natural and translucent.
- Light brown eyeshadow: I picked the shade Lula from Anastasia Beverly Hills Master Palette by Mario.
- Gold undertone brown eyeshadow: Mine is Marina from the above mentioned ABH Master Palette by Mario.
- Gold eyeshadow: I decided on 5th Ave from ABH Master Palette by Mario.
- Burgundy eyeshadow: Mine is from Muse from ABH Master Palette by Mario.
- Black liquid eyeliner: A really good one that I recently discovered is *Eve by Eves Conditioning Liquid Eyeliner. It provides a long-lasting, very pigmented coverage and comes with a super handy applicator that is so easy to work with.
- Eye pencil: I worked with Ardency Inn Modster Smooth Ride Supercharged Eyeliner that I received at one of the beauty boxes I’m subscribed to. It’s very creamy and pigmented, but I would probably not repurchase it for $20.
- False lashes: You know me, I always use the same type of falsies, Eylure Texture #117.
- Mascara: My current favorite is Maybelline Volum’ Express The Colossal Big Shot Mascara.
- Blush: I was happily surprised with the quality of Almay Smart Shade Powder Blush in Pink. Usually, I’m not a fan of drugstore blushes, but this one is a really good one! I love the natural pink coverage it provides.
- Powder: I’m a very picky when it comes to a setting powder and It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Micro-Powder is the only product in this category I’m currently obsessed with.
- Lipstick: I picked a perfect shade of red, Eve by Eves Satin Lipstick in Cherry Pie.
- Setting spray: My new favorite affordable setting spray is *Pop Beauty Makeup Magnet Mist.
Now, when we have all the tools ready, let’s dissect step by step how to create this holiday glam look.
Step #0: Start with filling in your brows. It takes a little while to explain my technique, but if you are interested please check out my step-by-step brow tutorial.
Step #1: Good base is essential for a perfect makeup look and proper priming is especially essential on the New Year’s Eve when you want your skin to look flawless all day long. One of the products I’ve been experimenting lately is *Pixi Skintreats Glowtion Day Dew which is actually a lotion, but it’s widely hyped on YouTube as a perfect base for makeup. If you look closely on your skin after applying this product, you will notice that it provides a mild glowy finish which is exactly what we are looking for in this makeup look. Apply this lotion after washing and toning your face and don’t forget to put a different eye moisturizer on the around your eye area.
Step #2: I believe that regardless how good your skin is, a high-quality foundation is an absolutely must for everyone. This product helps to camouflage some of the discolorations and textures that every skin has; it also makes your entire look so photo-friendly! As I mentioned before, the foundation I’m currently obsessed with is *Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Cushion Foundation.
I’m sure you guys have heard about an iconic Double Wear Foundation and this stick cushion is a lighter, more dewy “sister” of the Double Wear. Mine is in the shade 2C3 Fresco and I absolutely love this foundation as it provides “me, but better” kind of coverage and is super convenient to use, especially when traveling. If you are looking for a new exciting foundation to try, I definitely recommend this product!
This new product by the brand that you can apply directly from the tube as it features a sponge which quality reminds me of beautyblender. The sponge guarantees that you will evenly distribute the product on your skin so it looks flawless. I also love the fact that you can also detach the sponge and clean it which makes this product not only extremely handy for on-the-go application, but also very hygienic.
Look at the before and after photos that I provide above so you understand why I’m so excited about this foundation! It literally transforms my skin, stays for the entire day, camouflages all of the imperfections while looking incredibly natural and glowing from the inside.
Step #3: Not many people use this technique, but I love applying concealer not only under my eyes but also all over my lid as an eyeshadow primer. By doing so, I prolong the wear of my eye makeup and ensure that the eyeshadow look more pigmented. I use one of the following tools to apply a concealer: a beautyblender or a synthetic concealer brush.
Step #4: For eyeshadow, we’ll be playing with Anastasia Beverly Hills Master Palette by Mario, one of my most favorite palettes of the year. In my humble opinion, if you have that palette and the Modern Renaissance by the same brand, you can totally get rid of all other palettes in your collection and still be able to create tons of different looks.
- For starters, apply a light brown shade (I picked Lula) onto your crease and inner corners of the eyes and blend thoroughly.
- Then, follow-up with a darker shade of brown (Marina) applied onto outer corners of the eye.
- Blend two shades together with a brush that comes with a palette (I actually really like that brush).
- Finally, use your fingertips to apply a gold shade (5th Ave) in the middle of the lid.
Step #5: It’s time for a liquid eyeliner and falsies. As I mentioned before, my current favorite is *Eve by Eves Conditioning Liquid Eyeliner. It’s so pigmented and easy to work with! To make sure that the lash line looks even, apply a soft black eye pencil onto upper lash line. Finish your eye makeup look by applying your favorite falsies.
Step #6: Pick up a small flat brush and emphasize a lower lash line with a burgundy eyeshadow. Muse from Master Palette by Mario which has a bit of shimmer to it. Finish the look by applying mascara on the lower lashes. I used Maybelline Volum’ Express The Colossal Big Shot Mascara.
Step #7: I didn’t feel like contouring as my skin already looked smooth enough thanks to my new favorite foundation. I opted in for a simple pink blush by Almay which comes in such adorable neutral shade that slightly elevates skin complexion and doesn’t look too much. After you are done with blush, apply a tiny layer of loose powder all over your face.
Step #8: It’s time for the statement product of this look, perfectly red lipstick from Eve by Eves (the shade is called Cherry Pie). It’s so incredibly creamy and moisturizing—you will love how comfortably wears this super pigmented long-lasting lip product!
Step #9: Finish the look by applying a makeup setting spray. I used Pop Beauty’s newest launch, *Makeup Magnet Mist which is not only prolong the life of your makeup, but also smells amazing!
Now, when we are all set with makeup, let’s pick up a perfect dress for celebrating the beginning of a new year. I was looking for a classic little black dress when I found this ruffle black and white mini dress by Parker. It seems so flirty and unique that I couldn’t resist. I decided to style it with a small white clutch by Halston Heritage and my new crystal decorated boots. Since we will be celebrating in Miami this year, I’ll switch my shoes to something more warm weather appropriate.
That was it for my New Year’s Eve makeup and outfit. I hope you enjoyed this post! Please let me know in the comments area below what are you planning on wearing and which makeup are you planning on picking for this special occasion. Also, feel free to comment on any makeup items mentioned in this tutorial—I would be happy to discuss pros and cons of each product!