Continuing the conversation about my favorite Russian dishes (check out my post “Top 5 Nostalgic Russian Dishes”), I would like to share with you this easy and delicious Russian apple pie recipe. Sharlotka (that’s how people call an apple pie in Russia) was one of my favorite dishes as a child, and I always asked my mom to cook one for dinner. Nowadays if I even consider eating baking goods, its for breakfast, not dinner, but I always keep this recipe in mind if I am planning to cook for a family dinner.
Ingredients (for 8 portions):
- 6 eggs
- 5 apples (you can mix and match)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1.5 cups white all-purpose flour
- Pam baking spray
- 9.5 inch non-stick fluted tube pan
1. Wash and peel apples.
2. Cut apples int0 small pieces (about one inch long). Put aside while preparing the dough.
3. In a large bowl, beat six eggs. Using a mixer, thoroughly mix eggs so they look like foam.
4. Add one cup of sugar.
5. Add one and a half cups of flour; make sure than there is no lumps left.
6. Add two tablespoons of sour cream and 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder and mixing the batter for about one minute.
7. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease the pan with the Pam baking spray and leave it in the oven for about one minute.
8. Carefully take out the prepared pan out of oven and pour about an inch of the batter into the pan.
9. Add all apples that you prepared for your apple pie (see step 1).
10. Cover apples with the rest of the batter.
11. Bake in a preheated 350 F degree oven for 45 minutes. Check using a wooden toothpick if the pie is ready. Serve either cold or hot. You may want to sprinkle the pie with cinnamon or confectioner’s sugar.