With all of your support and feedback that I received on last week’s Kylie Jenner makeup tutorial, I felt even more inspired this week when I decided to replicate one of my favorite makeup looks by Ariana Grande. It’s not her signature winged eyeliner that you already saw a million times on the blog, but rather a more dramatic smokey eye look combined with a neutral lip color. Similar to my previous celebrity tutorial, I tried to use as many drugstore products as possible—and this time most of the makeup goodies I used are actually new drugstore launches. In other words, today I’ll not only recreate Ariana Grande’s 2016 Grammy Awards makeup, but also review some of the most exciting drugstore makeup launches at the same time!
To create this look, I used the following products:
- Milani Moisture Lock Raspberry Oil Infused Lip Treatment. At first, the smell of this product seemed artificial to me so I didn’t like it, but then I got used to it and I adore what it’s doing to my skin.
- Milani Prime Light Face Primer. I used this softly illuminating and pore filling primer for a few weeks now and I love how it makes your skin Red Carpet ready!
- *Maybelline Dream Cushion Foundation in #10 Porcelain. It’s one of the best drugstore cushion foundations that I used as it makes application so easy and convenient, especially when you are on-the-go.
- *Maybelline Brightening Creamy Concealer in #10 Fair. Usually, I’m not a fan of stick concealers for under the eye area, but this one is exceptional as it’s super easy to blend.
- *e.l.f. Cosmetics Precision Sponge Trio. I don’t know why so many YouTubers don’t like those sponges, but I don’t mind them at all, especially for blending concealer!
- *e.l.f. Cosmetics Illuminating Palette. It’s just another genius launch by the brand that I already know I’ll use and continue repurchasing. The consistency of the products in this palette reminds me those by ColourPop, but with a bit less shine to it—so this kit is more appropriate for everyday use.
- Wet N Wild Ultimate Brow Mascara. My first impression was that it’s a dupe to Benefit Gimme Brow Gel, but then I figured that this product is much more effective as it literally cements your brows so no hair is moving. I really like this product, but I think it will only work for those who can work quickly with it; when it sets, you can’t really brush your hair as it starts flaking.
- Almay Smart Shade Skintone Matching Pressed Powder in #100 Light. I expected that the shade of this powder will be off as it looked too dark in the package, but somehow it adjusted to the exact tone I needed and provided me with a beautiful matte finish.
- BH Cosmetics Floral Blush in Fuji Fun. This blush is so beautifully designed and looks so pretty on the skin that I decided to purchase the rest of the shades from the collection. What can I say? I’m a makeup collector!
- *Maybelline Expert Wear Eyeshadows: #150S NY Silver, 100S Vanilla, 70S Cool Cocoa, 110 S Night Sky, 40S Nude Glow, 190S Raw Ruby. I haven’t used single eyeshadows in years as those take too much space (and I live in New York City which means I never have enough space!). However, the quality of those shadows was surprisingly good for the price! Some are better than others, but I think these are worth depotting and transferring to a Z-palette.
- Almay Eyeliner in #205 Black. It’s a nostalgic product for me as it was the first pencil I’ve ever used to fill in my brows. Needless to say, I still love it!
- L’Oreal Voluminous Feline Noir Mascara. That’s the darkest black mascara I’ve ever tried and I’m currently so into it! Especially when I wear false lashes and want my lower lashes look super dark and defined too.
- Ardell Wispies False Lashes. All of my favorite YouTubers swear by those falsies and now I understand why: these are so perfect and so easy to work with!
- ColourPop x Hello Kitty Ultra Satin Lip in Tiny Chum. It might not be my typical favorite shade of lipstick as I prefer red and pink shades in general, but I do like the formula.
To recreate this look, follow the steps below:
Step #1: Start by applying a lip oil onto your lips. Since we’ll be using a liquid lipstick it’s important that your lips are well hydrated.
Step #2: Ariana has naturally beautiful and glowing skin and we will try to recreate this natural glow by applying illuminating primer before foundation.
Step #3: Generally, cushion foundations provide a bit more dewy finish than other formulas which is perfect for this particular celebrity look. Use a sponge that comes in a package to evenly distribute the product on your skin.
Step #4: Apply concealer under your eyes, on your forehead, and any wrinkles you’d like to fill in and blend it with a beauty sponge.
Step #5: Apply bronzer under the cheekbone and on the perimeter of your face with a contouring brush. Use highlighter to emphasize your cheekbones and under the brow area.
Step #6: Apply the tiniest amount of blush onto the apples of your cheeks and blend it with a highlighter to create a naturally glowy look.
Step #7: Fill in your brows with the help of a brow gel. Fix your application mistakes with the help of a concealer and a flat brush, if needed.
Step #8: There will be a few steps in creating Ariana’s smokey eye look:
1. Start with the light brown shade (#70S Cool Cocoa) applied onto the crease; blend thoroughly.
2. Apply sticky notes on the outer sides of your eyes to create a sharp eyeliner-like eyeshadow border.
3. Pick dark metallic eyeshadow (#190S Raw Ruby) and apply under the crease line. Blend two colors together.
4. Pick a not shimmery shade of brown (#70S Cool Cocoa) and blend it above the dark ruby shade, i.e. more towards the brows.
5. Wet a flat brush in a setting spray and pick a silver shadow (#150S NY Silver). Apply this shade onto inner corners of your eyes.
6. Pick another brush and also spritz setting spray on it. Pick a dark black eyeshadow and apply it close to your lash line to create an illusion that you are wearing an eyeliner.
7. Remove the sticky notes and, if needed fix the eyeshadow line with concealer and a flat brush.
8. Pick a black eye pencil and outline your lash line.
9. Apply mascara on top and bottom lashes.
10. It’s time for falsies!
Step #9: Clean up any eyeshadow fallout and set your makeup with a pressed powder.
Step #10: Apply a nude liquid lipstick and you are all set!
Finally, put your hair in Ariana Grande’s signature top ponytail, add some jewelry and you are all set!
I hope you enjoyed this easy to repeat affordable makeup tutorial! Please let me know in the comments area below which celebrity makeup you’d like me to recreate next! Thank you for stopping by!