Lately, I’ve been talking a lot about luxury beauty products and I feel that it’s about time to create a post dedicated exclusively to affordable products. It’s back to school season and I was thinking, why not sharing an easy to repeat look that incorporates just enough color to make it fun, but still conservative enough to be a perfect college day kind of look. This step-by-step back to school makeup tutorial is created in collaboration with essence cosmetics which means that I’ll be incorporating some of the brand’s latest makeup products.
To create this look, I used the following products:
Physicians Formula #InstaReady Face Primer (full review) – $12.99
CoverGirl Tru Blend Foundation in Ivory – $8.49
RCM No-Color Powder – $12
NYX HD Studio Concealer in Porcelain – $4.99
Pixi Makeup Fixing Mist with Rose Water – $15
Essence 2-in-1 Eyeshadow Primer – $4.49(20% off with the code KATYA20)
Maybelline The 24K Nudes Palette – $11.99 (full review)
L’Oreal Infallible Paints Liquid Eyeliner in 308 Wild Green – $9.99
Pixi by Petra Endless Silky Eye Pen in Jeweled Pewter – $12
Essence Volume Stylist Extension Mascara – $4.99 (20% off with the code KATYA20)
Essence Metal Shock Lipstick in 02 – $4.99 (20% off with the code KATYA20)
PUR Cosmetics My Little Pony Glitter Lip Gloss Topper in Pinkie Pie – $16
To create this back to school makeup look, watch my Instagram video or read my step-by-step tutorial below:
BACK TO SCHOOL MAKEUP: AFFORDABLE AND REALISTIC . BROWS @essencemakeup Make Me Brow Jumbo Eyebrow Pencil – $3.99 @elfcosmetics Lash and Brow Mascara – $1.99 . CHEEKS @elfcosmetics Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder St Lucia – $3.99 @milanicosmetics Powder Blush in 08 Tea Rose – $7.99 @essencemakeup Light Up Your Face Luminizer Palette – $5.99 . EYES @essencemakeup 2-in-1 Eyeshadow Primer – $4.49 @Maybelline The 24K Nudes Palette – $11.99 @lorealmakeup Infallible Paints Liquid Eyeliner in 308 Wild Green – $9.99 @pixibeauty Endless Silky Eye Pen in Jeweled Pewter – $12 @essencemakeup Volume Stylist Extension Mascara – $4.99 (20% off with the code KATYA20) . LIPS @essencemakeup Metal Shock Lipstick in 02 – $4.99 (20% off with the code KATYA20) @purcosmetics My Little Pony Glitter Lip Gloss Topper in Pinkie Pie – $16 . #ShockYourWorld #LashGameStrong #ExtraTouchWithEssence #spon
FACE AND CHEEKS
1. Start with your favorite foundation and concealer. Since many of us are so specific about these two products and the techniques of how to apply them, I will leave this step aside so you could just repeat your favorite primer-foundation-concealer routine. If you wonder which products I used, you could check them out above.
2. For my contouring, I used a bronzer palette by e.l.f. that I applied under my cheekbones only. Then, I followed by a rosy blush by Milani. Be aware that the latest is super pigmented so be prepared to spend a few moments on blending. To achieve a natural glowing look, apply your favorite highlighter from Essence Light Up Your Face Luminizer Palette. I used a more dense brush to achieve a more blended highlighter look.
QUICK TIP: If you applied too much blush: use a clean cotton ball to wipe the excess of blush from your skin and a bit of a translucent powder to blend out the rest of the product on your face.
I love starting the colorful part of my makeup with my brows as it helps to create a frame for the upcoming eye makeup. For this easy to repeat look I used Essence Make Me Brow Jumbo Eyebrow Pencil as it’s such an easy product to work with. Just fill in your brows with the pencil, followed by any clear brow gel.
QUICK TIP: If the bottom line of your brows does not look perfect, apply a bit of a concealer with a flat brush and distribute the product with your fingertips. Set with a translucent powder or a highlighter (if you want to emphasize the brow bone).
1. In my book, any good eye makeup starts with an eyeshadow primer. Especially if we are talking about back to school makeup when you want your products to stay on all day long. As I mentioned so many times here on the blog before, my favorite drugstore eyeshadow primer is Essence 2-in-1 Eyeshadow Primer. Usually, I use my fingertips to apply it on my lids.
- Using a medium crease brush, apply a greenish gray shade on the crease. Blend thoroughly.
- Sprits your fingertip with a setting spray and pick a shimmery golden brown shade. Apply on the middle of your lid and blend just a tiny bit with a big blending brush.
- Pick the ivory shade and apply it on the inner corners of your eyes with a medium blending brush.
- Use a big blending brush to blend all of the shades together.
3. If you are not using an eyeliner every day, feel free to skip this step and move to the step #4.
- Start by applying a liquid eyeliner on the upper lid. Use the shape you are most familiar with. My personal favorite is a cat eye type of the eyeliner application. Basically, it means that the tips of your eyeliner wings are facing upwards while the line follows the entire upper lid.
- I rarely used eyeliner for the lower lid, until I discovered Pixi by Petra Endless Silky Eye Pen in Jeweled Pewter. This product features such creamy and blendable formula that it makes so much easier to wear it on a daily basis.
4. For my mascara, I used Essence Volume Stylist Extension Mascara which brings lots of volume to my lashes — just like I prefer it. I apply a few coats every single day without the fear of being too dramatic. In my humble opinion, there is no such thing as too many lashes!
QUICK TIP: It might sound weird, but sometimes I will intentionally leave my mascara open for a few hours so it becomes thicker in consistency. This tip is great for mascaras that seem a bit too rainy. By exposing the product to fresh air, I ensure that the mascara applies bulkier — which means it brings, even more, volume to your lashes!
The final step for this makeup look is lipstick. If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that Essence Metal Shock Lipstick in 02 is my current go-to everyday lipstick as this line of products offers the most beautiful color selection ever. What I later discovered is that the sparkles in this lipstick pop out even more if you combine it with a clear lip gloss or a lip topper. The combo I used for this look is Essence Metal Shock Lipstick in 02 layered with PUR Cosmetics My Little Pony Glitter Lip Gloss Topper in Pinkie Pie. I don’t know about you, but I’m obsessed with how shimmery and fun this lip combo looks like!
* * * * *
That was it for my quick back to school makeup tutorial. I hope you enjoyed this look as well as some of the beauty tips that I provided along the way. Please let me know in the comments area below what is your go-to back to school look. Also feel free to provide the links to your blog posts and Instagrams where you share your favorite college or back to school makeup looks!
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by Her Campus Media and essence.