August is a slow month for New York art openings, but I still have a habit to dress artsy on Thursdays. Picking an outfit for arting (New York slang) might be tricky: you have to wear something business casual enough for the office, but not too boring so you can go straight to the Chelsea openings.
For today’s artistic adventures I selected a simple dress with a fun print and accessorized it with my favorite obi belt (also seen here with black and white flower dress), pointy toe pumps, and a black envelope clutch. I also grabbed my Morgenthal Frederics sunglasses and Chanel lipstick to fix my makeup later on.
I haven’t decided which galleries or museums to attend yet, but Jeff Koons’ exhibition at Whitney is almost over, and I haven’t checked it out yet. Also, a retrospective of photographs by Garry Winogrand has recently opened at the Metropolitan Museum and it should be a hit. Winogrand is one of the best street photographers of the century that depicted American life and New York City. He was also a guy that said “No one moment is most important. Any moment can be something.” I think it is very true: if you appreciate every second in your life, this second obtains meaning.
Talking about Winogrand, I decided to put together the list of my favorite quotes related to art:
- “The way to know life is to love many things.” — Vincent Van Gogh
- “Art is a lie that tells the truth.” — Pablo Picasso
- “If you want to achieve greatness stop asking for permission.” — Eddie Colla
- “Art is a line around your thoughts.” — Gustav Klimt.
- “Every artist was first an amateur.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” — Sylvia Plath
- “Creativity is intelligence having fun.” — Albert Einstein
- “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” — Dorothea Lange
- “The greatest gift that you were ever given was the gift of your imagination.” — Wayne W. Dyer
- “Everything you can imagine is real.” — Pablo Picasso
Please share your favorite art quotes, and let me know if you are planning to attend some art openings tonight.