The 90s trend is taking over the fashion industry and it’s about time for the makeup trends to catch up. One of the hottest beauty trends that I spotted backstage at New York Fashion Week was tightlining, a makeup technique that helps to emphasize the inner upper lash line to create an illusion of a fuller lash line. It’s a bit scary makeup technique to use as you have to apply a waterproof eyeliner underneath your upper lashes, but it’s definitely worth it as it makes your eyes stand out.
I also used the waterlining technique (i.e. putting eyeliner on above the lower lash line) to add a bit of drama to my overall neutral makeup look. While tightlining and waterlining trends were fun to play with, the real hero of the article is the lip product that I can’t stop talking about. It’s a new shade 05 Tangerine from Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil that I can’t get enough with. At the moment, I basically stopped using any other lip balms in my everyday life as this one provides not only a gorgeous tint but deeply hydrates my lips throughout the day. Today I’m collaborating with Clarins to share with you a neutral lip with an accent on the eye tutorial.
N7 Airbrush Away Primer
Wet N Wild PhotoFocus Foundation in Ivory
IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Full Coverage Concealer in Light
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Nude Bronze Light
Pixi Glow-y Powder in Santorini Sunset
N7 Powder Blush in Peach Velvet
1. Start with applying a primer. I used N7 Airbrush Away Primer which is creamy at first sight but, after application it transforms into a matte, silky, and weightless. The primer smells delicious and impresses with how it prolongs the longevity of the foundation.
2. For foundation, I used a super hyped Wet N Wild PhotoFocus Foundation in Ivory. It’s not the best foundation I’ve ever tried in my life, but considering the price it’s a very impressive product. Keep in mind that this satin finish foundation transfers without proper powdering; otherwise it’s a spectacular product.
3. It requires some application skills, but if you are willing to invest into IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Full Coverage Concealer in Light, you’ll be amazed by the level of coverage this product provides. All you need is a tiny bit of this creamy concealer—and you can totally wave your under eye circles “bye-bye!”
4. I’ve never been a bronzer addict, but Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Nude Bronze Light completely changed my opinion on using a bronzer. It comes in neutral and not orange shade that is suitable for pale girls like me. The bronzer takes seconds to blend and stays on your face for the longest time possible.
5. Another surprisingly amazing discovery by N7 is gorgeous Powder Blush in Peach Velvet. It’s pigmented and super blendable, beautiful colored and not patchy at all.
6. For all the #BrowGoals kind of girls: RUN to the closest pharmacy and purchase L’Oreal Brow Stylist Frame & Set! I’m not joking while saying that it’s way better than Anastasia Beverly Hills DipBrow Pomade. The gel comes with a super handy brush, which is so convenient to use while shaping your brows.
7. I decided to stick to a neutral makeup using my new favorite palette, IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Palette. I started by applying the shade Warmth onto my crease. Then, I added Sunset on the middle and outer corners and blended it thoroughly. The shade Love went on the inner corners, followed by the Transforming Pearl that I applied both on the inner corners and under the brow.
8. For mascara, I used all times favorite Clarins Supra Volume Mascara which adds a tremendous amount of volume to my exhausted after lash extensions lashes. Please keep in mind that I applied mascara only on my upper lashes and moved towards lower lashes only after I was done with my eyeliner.
9. Talking about the eyeliner, I was very impressed with super affordable Rimmel London ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner. It was a bit hard to remove, but it was so worth it: my eye makeup stayed on an entire day without smudging—which is perfect if you are planning on trying the tightlining technique.
A). Before starting with tightlining your eyes, make sure to curl your lashes. I also prefer having my mascara on so I see the final result as I go, but it’s totally up to you if you want to work with bare lashes.
B). With your left hand, grab your upper lashes so you can go a bit farther into your inner upper lash line without looking up (otherwise, how do you know where to draw the line?).
C). With your right hand, outline the inner upper lash line and between lashes where you have spare spots. The key here is to use a super soft waterproof line which allows you to put the lightest pressure on your eyes and not irritate them.
D). Moving towards waterlining, use the same eyeliner to outline the lower lash line. When it comes to waterlining, I prefer doing so before applying mascara because it’s easier to ruin the lower lash line makeup. So if you don’t have mascara on, such mistakes are easier to fix. Please keep in mind that waterlining technique makes your eyes look smaller so this technique is the most suitable only for people with protruding and round shape eyes line mine.
10. For highlighter, I used a new favorite of mine, Pixi Glow-y Powder in Santorini Sunset. It provides such a beautiful, even and blinding glow—I love how it looks both in real life and in photos.
11. To finish the look, I used my all times favorite Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil. If you remember my post on Top Lip Oils to Try Right Now, you remember how obsessed I was with this lip product in 02 Raspberry. The brand recently released a few new shades, and I’m absolutely in love with 05 Tangerine. It provides such beautiful natural-looking coverage, and it helps to hydrate lips and keep them healthy. It might sound excessive, but I’m on a mission of having each shade of this lip oil in my collection as it’s so perfect.
I hope you enjoyed this eyeliner twist on otherwise natural makeup look. It takes a few minutes to put together, but thanks to the high quality of the products I used to create this makeup, it will last throughout the day. Please let me know in the comments if you tried any of the products mentioned in this post and let’s discuss how you liked them!
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by Clarins.