I attended a presentation of IGK Hair that was created by three celebrity hairstylists from New York, Miami, and Los Angeles. They collaborated to develop a line of hair products that represents the style of each beauty capitals of the US. I thought it was a great idea and decided to create a hair guide representing hair looks for each beauty capitals of the US: wavy bun for NYC, slicked back hairstyle for LA, and crimped hair for Miami. Check out these step-by-step hair tutorials!
How to Create NYC-Style Messy Bun
Since I live in New York, I decided to start from a hairstyle dedicated to this city. NYC girls appreciate edgy, but effortless looks that could be easily dressed up on or down depending on where their busy life is bringing them that day.
Whether it’s a busy day at work or a night out, a trendy half-bun is a versatile hairstyle that will look either casual or fancy depending on which outfit you are wearing.
Effortless waves and a top bun.
Don’t overdo it! Always look like you are rocking a second-day hair!
1. Start by separating a top section of your hair.
2. Apply dry shampoo on the roots of your hair and massage it thoroughly for added volume.
3. Secure the bun on the top of your head.
4. Using a curling iron, create easy waves on the body of your hair.
5. Using a texturizing paste, define your curls, and add a bit of effortless to your look.
How To Create LA-Style Slicked Back Hair
I’ve never been to LA, but I follow so many California-based bloggers on Instagram that it feels like I’ve seen it all. In my outsider opinion, LA girls are all about glam — all day and every day.
Whether they are going on a shopping spree or meet for cocktails, they always look effortlessly glamorous and chic. The best part about a typical LA hairstyle is that it never looks overdone. It’s creative, well-balanced, and still easy to repeat.
This tutorial takes a maximum of five minutes to replicate and could be considered as a quintessential effortless LA look.
Glamorous sleek back hair with a bit of texture on the ends.
To glam or not to glam is not even a question!
1. Start by applying hair mousse all over your hair. Simply spray it on your brush and go through your hair a few times.
2. For added sleekness, follow-up with a hair gel so your hairstyle is heat and wind-proof.
3. Then, apply the gel with your hands, avoiding the ends. This way, your hair will have a bit of texture on the bottom.
Finish the look with fabulous cat eyeglasses and a burned orange or nude lipstick.
How to Create Miami-style Crimped Hair
Visiting Florida, I’m always impressed with the hairstyles people are coming out with for this artsy event. You can find all sorts of hair colors and structures at Miami Art Basel, matched to edgy and memorable outfits of art lovers.
To reflect this creative spirit of the city in a single hairstyle, I decided to put together that unique and fun voluminous hairstyle that reminds me of some of the prettiest towns in the US.
The 80s curls, crimped with a center part.
Make sure your hair is completely dry before undoing the braids!
1. Start with damp hair. Apply texturizing spray all over your hair for added volume.
2. Separate a top section of your hair and braid it.
3. The next step is to braid the rest of the hair and blow-dry until completely dry. Let your hair cool off for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Remove the hair ties and undo the braids.
5. Apply hair gel all over the hair to create a more defined look.
I hope you enjoyed reading about my recent hair experiments! Please let me know in the comments area below which of the looks you enjoyed the most.