As I mentioned before, I like to mix both expensive and drugstore beauty products to achieve the results that I need. I also do not mind using some homemade beauty products.
Today, I’ll share with you my favorite DIY skincare recipes that I use all the time. Let me know in the comments if you’ve heard of any of these before!
Get Smooth, Kissable Lips
There are many expensive products that promise to make your lips smooth and soft. Lip balms, oils, and treatments smell and taste so good, but are they really effective when your lips are cracked to blood?
As a real lip balm addict, I have to say that it’s crucial to have a chapstick or lip balm in every handbag you own. But when nothing else helps, the best lip therapy product is… a petrolatum-based. Either Vaseline or Aquaphor.
Aquaphor vs Vaseline for Lips
There is an on-going debate on what’s better – Vaseline or Aquaphor? Both are used for treating diaper rash, healing sores, and relieving skin dryness. The only difference between the two is that Aquaphor is water-based petrolatum and Vaseline is a 100% petrolatum.
Personally, I found them both equally effective – so just use whatever you have in your medicine cabinet!
How to Use Aquaphor and Vaseline for Your Lips?
Squeeze a tiny drop of a product on the palm of your hand and apply overnight on your lips. Repeat every night until your chapped lips are completely healed.
Natural Alternatives to Petroleum Jelly
Many people avoid using petroleum jelly because it not organic. Luckily, there are a few natural alternatives to petroleum jelly that work as well (if not better!) than Vaseline and Aquaphor. Keep in mind though that such alternatives are usually more pricey.
Learn More About Lip Care
If you are interested in learning more tips and tricks about lip care, check out these awesome posts:
- Top 15 Lip Balms of All Time – I tested dozens of lip products of different price points to round up the best of the best.
- How to Pair Your Lip Color with Your Dress – Find all the best combinations and be more creative with your lipstick colors!
- The Best Lip Oils To Try Now – Lip oils are different from lip balms and treatments, but which ones are worth your buck?
- The Best Red Lipsticks of All Time – Like a red lipstick fanatic, I’m very picky when it comes to picking favorites. This post rounds up all the best ones.
- 10 Lip Balms I Can’t Live Without – The list keeps growing but these ten are all-time favorites.
Let Your Skin Glow
I will never stop emphasizing how important it is to exfoliate your skin regularly. In my opinion, scrubs and peelings are essential for everyone’s body care routine. Especially, if we are talking about such an inexpensive home remedy as my favorite coffee scrub.
DIY Coffee Scrub
Next time you are making coffee at home, save some ground coffee beans. Combine two tablespoons of coffee with two tablespoons of body oil (I prefer avocado or Shea butter oils) and a teaspoon of shampoo — and your DIY coffee scrub is ready.
Apply generously on your body in circular motions. Rinse thoroughly and don’t forget to apply a body butter or lotion after it. Repeat at least once a week.
Learn More About Body Care
Over the past few years, I put together body care guides that I believe could be helpful for you:
- Best Repairing Balms for Dry Skin Patches – This roundup of healing balms are handy when your dry skin is getting out of control.
- The Best and Bubbliest Products to Enjoy This National Bubble Bath Day – A good way to prepare your skin for exfoliating is to take a bath about it.
Restore Your Heels
If my heels get rough after wearing flip-flops and exploring sandy beaches, I always use the following overnight cracked heels treatment that my grandmother taught me.
DIY Feet-Healing Compress
- Wash your feet in warm water and wipe them dry.
2. Apply a thick layer of Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream or any other thick moisturizer that you like.
3. Finally, cover each of your feet with plastic wrap and then put in socks.
You will achieve the best result if you keep your Cetaphil compress overnight, but even a half an hour treatment will make a difference.
If you are looking for more tips on how to take care of your feet, check out our recent post How to Prepare Your Feet for Sandals.
Remove Excess Oil
I found this beauty trick at Andrea Pomerantz Lustig’s book How To Look Expensive and never stopped using it. As Andrea correctly mentioned in her book, there is something special about Starbucks paper napkins that makes them a perfect excess oil removing tool.
Try this simple trick next time you are buying your coffee, and you will never go back to your blotting papers. Honestly, these Starbucks napkins are truly magical!
Master Your Manicure Skills
Even if you are the most sloppy nail painter, you would be able to make your nails look good if you follow my easy nail coloring tip.
Next time you apply nail polish, do not try to be too careful and not to color the skin around the nail. Instead, apply your nail polish as untidy as you wish and wait until your nails are dry. Then wash your hands in warm water: the excess nail polish around the nail plate will easily come off on its own.
This little trick will allow you to fix all nail painting imperfections without touching any nail polish remover.
My Favorite Nail Care Tips
Whether you are into nail art or prefer minimalistic manicure, these nail care tips might be handy:
- DIY Nails: My Tips and Tricks – The ultimate guide to all the manicure tips and tricks that I regularly use. Highly recommend checking out!
- How-To: Valentine’s Day Nails – This roundup features the most romantic nail art ideas – and yes, there are hearts and kisses involved.
- DIY Fourth of July Nail Art – Inspiration for celebrating Independence Day… as documented on your fingertips.
- How-To: Marvel Superhero Nails – If you are into superheroes, you’d love this easy to repeat tutorial.
- Ultimate Halloween Nails Guide – When I say “ultimate” I mean 50 nail art ideas that match popular Halloween costumes.
These were my top five home remedies that I regularly use to take care of my skin and nails. I wonder if you can add any DIY beauty tricks to this list?