This post is brought to you by essence and Her Campus Media.
It’s a holiday season and everyone wants to look their best. It’s also that time of the year when a lot of things must be done: work projects, holiday shopping, cards sending, vacation planning – who has the time to sleep? As a result, when it comes to attending a much-anticipated holiday party, many of us feel a bit frustrated as their skin doesn’t look as glowing and beautiful as they expected. While there is nothing that could entirely replace your nine plus hours beauty sleep, there are a few makeup tricks that will help your skin to look a bit more radiant and holiday-friendly. In this post, I share some of my most favorite holiday makeup tips and tricks that will help you to achieve the most luminous skin ever for your upcoming holiday party.
To create this look, I used the following makeup products:
YSL Touche Eclat Glowing Shot in 1 Daylight
Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Cushion Stick Radiant Makeup in 1N2 Ecru
Kevyn Aucoin The Etherealist Super Natural Concealer in EC 01 Light
Guerlain Meteorites Setting Powder
Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden
Essence All About Roses Eyeshadow Palette in 03 Roses
Essence SuperFine Eyeliner Pen in 01 Deep Black
Pur Beauty On Point Eyeliner in Hotline
Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara
Follow the steps below to recreate this holiday-friendly makeup look!
1. I will never start repeating that good makeup always starts from the pampered skin. Meaning, if you want to achieve that holiday glow you better start adding extra nourishing products to your skincare routine right now. I know, it sounds like a lot of work but it’s not that difficult as it might seem. Try simple everyday solutions like Starskin 7-Second Morning Mask. Basically, it’s a two-sided wipe that hydrates your skin and preps it for makeup. It’s super easy to use but the results are quick and dramatic.
2. When it comes to the makeup application, opt in for a light reflecting primer as this product will ensure you are glowing from the inside. My current favorite is YSL Touche Eclat Glowing Shot in 1 Daylight. Technically, it’s a liquid highlighter but the consistency and pigmentation of this product make it perfectly suitable for wearing underneath foundation.
3. It does matter which foundation you are using when shooting for a glowy finish. You can’t go for a full coverage and hope for a dewy look – your foundation should show some skin. My favorite product for that type of situations is Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Cushion Stick Radiant Makeup in 1N2 Ecru. You know that I’m a big fan of all Estee Lauder foundations and this one is just another favorite of mine. It comes with a built-in applicator which makes it a perfect on-the-go foundation that provides a beautiful dewy finish.
4. For concealer, I used my favorite Kevyn Aucoin The Etherealist Super Natural Concealer in EC 01 Light. It provides a beautiful full coverage that does look natural and doesn’t crease at all. I used it not only under my eyes but also around the nose and on any breakouts or dark spots that I want to camouflage.
5. I’ve never been an avid bronzer user until I tried Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Nude Bronze Light. It provides a “barely there” natural finish that brings dimension to the face without looking too dark or muddy. For all the light skin girls out there, the shade Nude Bronze Light is so perfect for us, snow white queens!
6. For blush, I used Essence Satin Touch Blush in 20 Satin Love that you’ve seen so many times on my blog. This shade is so natural and neutral looking which makes it a perfect match for any eyeshadow and lipstick look. The blush blends effortlessly in your skin and stays all day long – what a score, considering how affordable is that blush.
7. For highlighter, I used the new Pop Beauty Prismatic Pop Highlighter in Celestial Light. It’s a fine melted luminizer that contains both glittery and glowy pigments so your skin reflects the light in any lighting situation. I applied the product on my cheek bones, under the brow, and on top of the upper lip.
8. My brow routine is always the same and somewhat boring so I’ll just say that I use Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse in Rich Brown and Sisley Phyto-Sourcils Fix Brow Gel. If you are interested to learn in detail how I trim and fill in my brows, check out this article.
9. Before starting with the eye makeup, don’t forget to apply an eyeshadow primer. That way, you’ll ensure that your look will not move for hours! My go-to eye primer is Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden. Usually, I apply it with an applicator and then blend it using my fingertips.
10. For the eyes, I decided to use Essence All About Roses Eyeshadow Palette in 03 Roses which features beautiful everyday and holiday appropriate hues of pink, ivory, and mauve.
10.1. I started my eye makeup by applying a matte ivory shade all over my lid. It’s such a beautiful neutral shade that perfectly matches with my skin so I blended it all over the lid toward the lower brow line.
10.2. For the crease, I used a matte brown shade that I blended with a medium size crease brush.
10.3. For the accent color, I picked a glittery grey that I applied first in the middle of the lid and then blended towards the outer corners.
10.4. To ensure that my eye makeup looks transition-less, I used a big blending brush all over the lid.
11. Since the accent of this makeup look will be on the lips, I decided to emphasize the eyes just a little bit. With the help of the Essence SuperFine Eyeliner Pen in 01 Deep Black I created the thinnest and sharpest eyeliner look possible. I also used Pur Beauty On Point Eyeliner in Hotline to tightline the upper lid – that way your lashes look even fuller!
12. I finished the eye makeup with Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara which is perfect for creating dramatic eyelash effect. I don’t know about you, but when it comes to the holiday makeup, I’m all about full, voluminous lashes look and this mascara helps to achieve the exact effect you are looking for!
13. After my mascara is set, I applied a tiny amount of setting powder under my eyes and on the nose only. I used a big concealer brush to reach the area under lower lashes and a big powder brush to apply the product on the T-zone.
14. To create a festive lip look, I outlined my lips with a burgundy lip pencil and filled them in with Essence Matt Matt Matt Lipstick in 07. I already mentioned this lip product on the blog as the line offers a great selection of perfect nude shades and I was impressed with the coverage red and burgundy lipsticks provide. To make the lip look even more festive, I topped the look with Pur My Little Pony Lip Toppers in Twilight Sparkle.
There you have it, guys: a step-by-step tutorial on how to create a perfectly glowing burgundy lip holiday look. If you want to watch the same tutorial, make sure to check out this Instagram video. Also, feel free to ask any questions in the comments area below!